Thursday, May 10, 2012

Still House Pond Jan Watson Still House Pond By Jan Watson

Still House Pond
Still House Pond Read more...

  • ISBN13: 9781414323862
  • Notes: BRAND NEW FROM PUBLISHER! 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Tracking provided on most orders. Buy with Confidence! Millions of books sold!
  • Condition: New

  • Still House Pond By Jan Watson I have read Jan Watson books for a while now and I have never been disappointed with her writing. I have bought all five of her books.They were shipped promptly when ordered. I am very pleased and highly recommend her books if you want a good read.I bought this book at Amazon.com and very happy with them. I've ordered several books from them and very happy with their service.
    Good Book I enjoyed this book. There were several main characters besides the ones listed on the back cover. There is Manda who had a very interesting story line and also Remy was a rather intriguing character. But my favorite character was Copper who is Lilly's mother. I liked reading about her medical adventures as she assisted with the birthing of babies and other emergencies too. She got into some very interesting situations. I just really liked her personality and the way she handled things. Lilly was a very sweet girl and also very resourceful. I must say I was rather surprised by some of the twists in the storyline. It definitely turns some turns I didn't expect but they were very good.
    Additional adventures of Copper This fifth book in the saga of a young woman in the mountains of Kentucky is a great addition to the Troublesome Creek series. Copper her family and friends band together in times of need. This is a great inspirational story of lending a hand to those in need. I have enjoyed reading the entire Troublesome Creek series and would recommend it to those who enjoy historical fiction.
    Felt a bit lost I really wanted to like Still House Pond by Jan Watson but I just couldn't get into it.Although Still House Pond is supposed to be a standalone novel I felt like I'd tuned into a Walton's episode a half hour too late.Since I haven't read Jan's Troublesome Creek series and that's where many of the characters were first established I felt a little lost.I did enjoy Jan's style and the 'Walton's' feel to the book so I think if I was properly introduced by reading mama Copper's stories I may be able give Lilly and Still House Pond a fresh start.
    Gentle story of God's Soverignty STILL HOUSE POND is a gentle story that reminds the reader that even the simpler times weren't so simple and that God is sovereign and trustworthy.Copper Corbett is a nurse and midwife in rural Kentucky. She was widowed with a daughter Lilly who is now eleven. Copper is remarried to a good man and has three more children.Manda Whitt is Copper's hired help. Manda yearns for adventure and the kind of true love she reads about in magazines. This longing leads her into adventure all right but not the kind that ends happily.Lilly Gray Corbett is a precocious child who loves animals and can't stand to see one in distress. This affection for creatures gets her into trouble. And saves her life.Copper is uneasy when Lilly's aunt demands to have Lilly visit for a month. Copper reluctantly agrees to send her oldest daughter alone on the train. News of a train crash reaches the Corbett home and Copper and her husband desperate to find Lilly rush to the crash site.
    It wasokay. Still House Pond is the continuation of the Troublesome Creek series and centers on Copper's daughter Lilly and herself and their hired girl Manda. An invitation for Lilly Gray to come visit her Deceased father's sister arrives and disrupts their household. But Copper is too busy help tobe mothers to see Lilly off but asks Manda too instead. But Manda has met a young man in town and as Manda and Lilly are waiting for the coach the mysterious man shows up and this is Manda's chance to get to better know him. What transpires after that is one a series of unfortunate. I very much disliked Manda's sisters they seemed so mean and hateful and treat Manda more like a slave instead of a sister. Lilly is just like any other twelve year old girl. She wants adventures outside of her childhood home and this trip is the perfect opportunity for her to be grown up and on her ownsort of. I liked how the authors had many plot twists that I had never expected and that made the story exciting.
    Still House Pond Still House Pond by Jan Watson which continues the Troublesome Creek Series follows the lives of Lilly Manda and Copper. Lilly is the young daughter of Copper the town midwife and she is striving to have her independence and not always be given the responsibility of looking after her younger siblings. She looks forward to a trip to visit her aunt and her parents are faced with facing the possibility that she did not make it to her destination as a train accident occurs. The book also focuses on Copper's midwife practice and the young girl who was hired to watch her children while she is working.Although I liked the book after I read it as I read the book I found it difficult to stay focused on the contents of the book. I liked the historical nature of the book but I think I may have not been as interested in the book as other reviewers since I did not have the opportunity to read the other books in the series. Also I felt the main plot of the book which was the train accident could have occurred earlier in the book and that would have made the book more appealing to me as I would have been interested in the lives of the characters from an earlier point in the book.I Received this book from Tyndale for review.
    First time Jan Watson book reader Still House Pond by Jan Watson is a book revolving around the lives of the Pelfrey family of Troublesome Creek. Although there are many plots going on in the book the climactic plot is of young Lily Gray Corbett and the news of her Lexingtonbound train crashing.This is my first time reading a Jan Watson book. Even though it was difficult for me to get into her storyline at first I enjoyed her easy and pleasant writing style. I believe if I had read the previous books in the series I wouldn't find the history and introductions of the characters a bit abrupt and I probably would've enjoyed the book more. Ms. Watson gives some background to the characters which can be a good recap to those who are familiar with the storyline and characters but for firsttime Jan Watson readers such as myself it was a little confusing. I was able to follow the storyline though and the character history given was sufficient.
    Fun read! Jan Watson's Still House Pond was phenomenal. It was a little tricky to get into but part of that might have been because I started it in a loud dining hall. Lol! However once started she threw many twists and turns at the reader. I was always wondering what would happen next.One part of this book that not everyone likes I've learned from reading other reviews is that fact that the chapters alternate between the three main female character Copper the mom Lilly Copper's daughter and Manda Copper's working girl. I however thought after getting the hang of it and really figuring out the characters that this was a very smart way to write this book. Each of these women are very different so it was nice to see the different perspectives. It made it a bit confusing in the beginning but as I said once you get a firm grip of who each of the characters are and their relationships it makes for a very entertaining read.I will most definitely be looking into Jan's other books.
    Boring & Uninteresting! Personally I found this book to be a little bit boring with not much of a story. It was quite uninteresting and lacked character development. I also found the story to be quite predictable. So I'll just leave you with the synopsis taken from the back coverLilly Gray Corbett loves living on Troublesome Creek but she would much rather play with her best friend than watch her little brother and the twins. Her mama Copper is often gone helping to birth babies and Lilly has to stay home and help. When Aunt Alice sends a note inviting her to visit in the city Lilly is excited to go.Copper isn't quite ready to let her young daughter travel all the way to Lexington by herself but she reluctantly agrees to let Lilly go. When Copper and her husband John hear news that Lilly's train crashed they rush to find out if their daughter is injuredor even alive.
    Read more...



    Related Products
    • Willow Springs (Troublesome Creek Series #2) FASCINATIONG We first met Copper Brown in Troublesome Creek the first of a trilogy written by Jan Watson.Copper grew up in Troublesom Creek in the mountains of Kentucky and she was very close to her family and neighbors. Copper just loved these beautiful mountains ...Read the full

    • Torrent Falls (Troublesome Creek Series #3) You Can Go Home Again Copper Brown is now a single mother raising her young daughter. She has returned to her home at Troublesome Creek after the death of her husband to start her life over again. Now the local midwife she tends to the needs of others. Then an old ...Read the full

    • Skip Rock Shallows ...Read the full

    • Troublesome Creek (Troublesome Creek Series #1) can't wait for the sequel I'll just go ahead and use the most over used line in reviews. It was a real page turner. It transplanted me in time and place to the late 1880's in Appalachia. The scene came alive on the pages. The characters were real and the novel's ...Read the full

    • Sweetwater Run A sweet book about faith family and friendship When her husband is wrongfully arrested for stealing his own mule Cara Whitt finds herself alone in their small cabin on a mountain in eastern Kentucky. With her husband's family close by Cara finds that she must rely ...Read the full

    No comments:

    Post a Comment