Friday, June 15, 2012

Small Woodworking Shops Best Fine nice book

Small Woodworking Shops (New Best of Fine Woodworking)
Small Woodworking Shops (New Best of Fine Woodworking) Read more...


False Advertising This book has its positive points but encouraging someone who wants to create a small workshop is not one of them. Instead it tends to make you feel bad about not having 1000+ sq. ft. of space to allocate to a wood shop. They've reprinted six articles that describe wood shops but only one fits my definition of small. The rest describe spaces 600 720 1296 and two at 2400 sq. ft. I guess if you are making a small commercial shop 2400 sq. ft. is not out of the question but if woodworking is just a hobby 200400 sq. ft. is a more common limitation.It also has two related overlapping in content articles on dust collection one of the articles is useful but another seems redundant. Seems like the editors were looking for filler articles.I would have given this book more stars3 or 4if it hadn't claimed to be about small shops. However I wouldn't have purchased it in that case because I already have general woodshop design booksand in fact almost all the information in this one I've seen in my other books. And it really is just a collection of articles rather than a coherent whole.In particular I find
Great source of ideas Reading this book has prepared me well with ideas to consider in setting up my first real workshop when I move to a new house in the coming year.
Best concise shop design book out now. This is the best concise shop design book out now in my opinion. It covers quite a few areas in detail like lighting adding a wood floor on top of concrete dust collection issues various layouts essential tools and more that make it an essential book. Aim high in making your shop as good as any tool you have or project you make. This book encourages that and helps you make wise costeffective decisions.
Very useful When the first couple reviews for a book are all 5 stars I tend to wonder whether the author's friends and relatives are doing their part to pump up sales. I'm writing this review in case you're like me in that regard. Fear not I've got no connection whatsoever with anyone involved with this book.As a new woodworking hobbyist I found this book informative and helpful. The writing was clear and readable the photos and graphics welldone. More importantly for me the breadth and depth of information was just right.
A collection of Fine Woodworking articles Like many of Taunton's books in the woodworking arena this one consists mostly of reprints of Fine Woodworking magazine FWW articles. That's not bad in itself of course as FWW is a fine magazine and one to which I subscribe. It does mean that even though the articles are all small shop themed there isn't a logical flow from beginning to end or article to article. Each stands on its own merits is written by a different author and has its own emphasis and style.Approach this book and these titles as idea and tips generators. This book is most appropriate to those who are not already FWW subscribers. If you are a longterm subscriber you will have already read the articles.
Small shops I just built a 24X40 shop & used many of the ideas in this book especially the lighting recomendations.
Great tips even for the weekend DYI'r At first when I started reading the book I thought I was in store for a long treatise on how to build a professional workshop. If you are in the market for that information I am sure this book will get you started. Where I found the book most useful was in seeing how each person used the space available. In one instance the shop design was a professional spread with a specific location for each step of the woodworking process. In another instance the shop design was for a professional who had limited space. Both extremes helped me visualize how my home workshop my garage might be better used.
nice book the Tauton Press always does a nice layout and great info. Good pictures and diagrams make for good reading and info.
Excellent information The book gives outstanding ideas in all areas of building your workshop. Learned a whole lot from this book! Well worth the price.
Woodworking aspirants This is a 'secondstage' book suitable for those with potential for plenty of space time and machinery. It has minimal coverage of basic workbench and hand tools practice and simple handyman projects although storage and spacesaving ideas are well covered. The book is ideal for those aspiring to make the big jump to a larger machinery equipped productive work place with better and safer work practices and will certainly guide my future and hopeful aspirations.
Read more...



Related Products

  • Setting Up Shop: The Practical Guide to Designing and Building Your Dream Shop What a great resource! As a library administrator and avid woodworker I get to see and read a lot of woodworking and shop building books. This is among the best I have ever read. I even purchased a copy of this one for myself. I was really impressed with all of ...Read the full

  • Smart Workshop Solutions This is a worthwhile read I recently had the chance to read this book and despite some initial reservations I came away with quite a few good ideas for my small home shop. What took me a while to understand is that most books of this type simply give many different ...Read the full

  • Wood Magazine: How to Build a Great Home Workshop Easily the best shop idea book I have found This is a wonderful idea book. It has many projects you can build to better utilize your space. None of the Taunton books offered any where near the useful information that this book has. This is the FIRST book I recommend ...Read the full

  • The Complete Woodshop Guide: How to Plan, Equip or Improve Your Workspace (Popular Woodworking) Woodshop guide You would think that setting up a workshop is no big dealWRONG. I have a few guides to shop setup. But get this complete guide and don't end up with everything stuffed in the garage. I liked the section on dust collection ...Read the full

  • The Workbench: A Complete Guide to Creating Your Perfect Bench Buy this book Though I am a huge fan of Scott Landis' book on this subject I think I like this book even better. Because I will soon build my third and final bench yes I am a dreamer I have been reading a lot about this subject lately. This book does a great job ...Read the full

No comments:

Post a Comment