Monday, March 19, 2012

Dream Follow Return Red River A Dream to Follow (Return to Red River #1)


A Dream to Follow (Return to Red River #1) A story that continues like a runny nose when your sick with a cold and your medicine doesn't work This book was very hard to get into. From the very beginning the writer describes every detail with more details. Fluffing up her story to make it long enough for the printer I am guessing. But what bothers me is that her editor and publisher allowed this to even make it to the printer and eventually onto the shelves for the consumer.For example The words hung between them caught on the moment like feathers on breath.Dandelions glowed like miniature suns sprouting up from the deep green leaves mounds of richness begging to be harvested..Tiny purple violets managed to bloom right next to recalcitrant snowdrifts like their cohorts the snowdrops. Thorliffs long legs covered the ground like a racing thoroughbred.And this was only a small example from a FEW paragraphs in the beginning of the book. If I had the time I could have filled the page with examples. It just never ended.
The best series I have read in a LONG time This is one of the best series that I have ever read. It is a must see but beware once you pick it up you will not want to put it down.
Inspirational This book is another of Lauraine Snelling's wonderful inspirational and heartwarming pioneer stories. It gives you a helpful encouragement to follow the examples of her characters which remind me of my own pioneer ancestors. Maybe I should also write stories about my own since she does such a good job with hers.
I'd Call It Red River Of The North #7 Spring 1893 Oct 1893
great books Wonderful wonderful wonderful. I hope there is a continued story here I need to know the end of the love.
Did the professional reviewers even read this book? Lovely continuation of the Red River of the North series. If you have not read the Red River Series start with those first. Contrary to what the Pros wrote these series are about NORWEGIAN immigrants to NORTH DAKOTA. Yes sometimes the endings are abrupt but the next book will pick up where this one leaves off. Many sucessfull writers employ this technique most notably J. K. Rowling. Delightful read good for the spirit have a box of tissues handy.
I liked this book. A DREAM TO FOLLOW opens in the year 1893. Thorliff Bjorklund 17 lives with his family in Blessing North Dakota. Thorliff has been writing stories since he was a little boy and longs to study journalism. Everybody likes his writing but his stepfather doesn't want Thorliff to go to college. He wants him to stay home and take care of the family and farm.Thorliff is stymied caught between his family and his desires and he has no idea what to do. He also struggles spiritually Thorliff doesn't have faith that God will make things right for him and his family. If that isn't bad enough a long drought means there might not be enough money for his tuition. Thorliff has to make a very difficult decision about his life. Will he go to college and follow his lifelong dream or go with his father's wishes?In another part of the story Elizabeth Rogers lives in Blessfield Minnesota. She comes from a very good family and is determined to reach her goal of becoming a doctor. Her family encourages her to follow her dream but it's nearly impossible for a woman to get into medical school. Does her heart mislead her to think otherwise about becoming a doctor?I liked this book because it inspired me to think about what I want to be when I grow up. When I grow up I want to be a prosecuting attorney because I think it would be fun and you wouldn't get bored at all because you deal with different types of cases.
Excellent read This was the first Christian historical fiction book I have read and was quite impressed.
Good intro to the next generation This book really continues on the story started in the Red River of the North series but focuses on the next generation of Bjorklunds and a few new characters. It was a nice contrast to get away from the farm life towards the middle / end of the book and get a taste of city living in the late 1800's.
A Dream to Follow Return to Red River #1 When I picked this book up I had a very hard time putting it down. It is very well written easy to understand with enough action/things going on that held my attention. I love Lauraine Snelling as a auther.


In this follow-up series to Snelling's popular "Red River of the North," a historical series about a Swedish community in North Dakota, Thorliff Bjorklund dreams of being a journalist, but his father refuses to consider sending him to college, expecting Thorliff to help run the farm. But even Thorliff's love for Anji is not enough to stave off his dreams. After praying for the Lord's guidance and with his mother's support, Thorliff leaves home to attend college. Thorliff is that curious mixture of child and adult trying to grow inside the same skin. His decision to pursue his own dream comes from the man he will become, while his reactions to other events expose the boy that he still is.


Related Products
  • A New Day Rising (Red River of the North #2) SOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By A Customer Ingeborg having just gotten over the her husband's sudden death and is taming the land herself when her husband's cousin comes to her to offer his help. She is at first unwilling to let him ...Read the full

  • A Land to Call Home (Red River of the North #3) Town of "Blessing" Book 3 in Red River of the North opens with Penny writing to the absent Hjelmer who has fled the area to avoid a "shotgun wedding" trick. Even though he is young and immature he is a hard worker with an eye for the future and ...Read the full

  • Believing the Dream (Return to Red River #2) This is like reading my heritage story! As a daughter of a Swedish immigrant that homesteaded in North Dakota in the early 1900's I have read the 6 book series of Red River and the first 2 return books. I have shared them with my sisters and daughter. Today I am ...Read the full

  • More Than a Dream (Return to Red River) Wonderful Book Made me cry This is a fabulous ending to the triology on Thorliff. Although I might have been rooting for another ending Anji why'd you marry that other guy! this one still won me over. The book made me cry laugh and share it with all my friends! I ...Read the full

  • Blessing in Disguise (Red River of the North #6) Okay but nowhere near as good as the first four By A Customer I thought this book was fairly good and definitely better than Tender Mercies. But in both this book and Tender Mercies Ingeborg and Kaaren were virutally dropped. Blessing in ...Read the full

No comments:

Post a Comment